Chapter 24: Loot and Unity
Three days. That was the time it took to fully process the aftermath of the Scavenger alliance massacre.
The sheer volume of resources hoarded by those three camps was staggering, nearly rivaling the wealth Amutenya had extracted from his deal with Hiyalwa. When the first carts of loot had been rolled into their camp, Amutenya’s heart had hammered with a dangerous, intoxicating excitement. Initially, he assumed he had hit the jackpot by ambushing three hunting parties preparing to buy salt from the Ondonga kingdom. However, as they sorted the cargo, the grim reality of the scrubland set in: only one group had legitimate trade goods. The rest of the wealth had been bled from smaller, weaker hunting parties.
This newfound mountain of resources did more than just skyrocket the morale of the forty new recruits; it solved their most pressing logistical nightmare. The journey home could not be delayed, and Amutenya had no intention of forcing his new army to march on foot behind their five overburdened cow-carts in the blistering Namibian heat.
The Scavengers had solved that problem for them. The Ghost Party had secured an entirely new fleet of transport, including a massive black stallion that Amutenya instantly claimed and named Ash.
After three grueling days of sorting sacks, curing meat, and taking inventory, their total assets were finalized.
The Ghost Army Treasury:
Transportation: 11 cow-drawn carts, 3 donkey carts, and 2 horses.
Monetary & Trade Goods: 5 carts of raw iron ore, 6 carts of carved ivory, premium ostrich eggshells, and beads. 3 carts of premium grains, and 4 sacks of low-grade grain.
Large Game (Cured & Processed): 18 massive kudus, 7 large antelopes, 6 gemsbok, and 3 giraffes.
Small Game: 28 warthogs, 16 wild goats, 15 springboks, and 10 impalas.
Live Stock (Trapped & Caged): 80 guinea fowls (48 alive and roosting in woven branch cages), 128 hares (31 alive and breeding).
During these three days of manual labor, Amutenya had time to calculate his next move. Given the unprecedented wealth and manpower he was bringing back to the starving village, failing to establish a strict hierarchy now would guarantee chaos upon their return. He needed to lock in their loyalty while the adrenaline and excitement were still fresh. And as a former corporate strategist, he knew exactly how to buy loyalty: equity.
After dinner on the third night, Amutenya finally had a moment to breathe. He called for a private meeting in his tent.
The attendees were his original shareholders—the ones who had followed him into the wasteland. Tate Mukoya, Haufiku, Tate Shaningwa, Meme Kauna, Shiimi, Shivute, Ndapandula, Nangolo, Kadhila, Ndilimeke, Kapandu, and Nelao. All thirteen of them crammed into the small canvas tent, making the sight almost comical, but the atmosphere was thick with anticipation.
"I called you here tonight because our reality has fundamentally changed," Amutenya began, holding the room's attention effortlessly. "I need to clarify my stance, and I need to ask for yours. First, our original equity agreement still stands. Of all the game we hunt, 40% goes to my household, 30% to the village communal reserve, and the remaining 30% is split among your households."
He paused, letting the numbers settle before dropping the real weight. "For the royal caravan trade goods, your households will each receive a 5% cut. And for the spoils we just took from the Scavenger alliance—because you have all been the foundation of this operation—I am raising your share. Instead of the baseline 10%, your households will receive 12% each, and 10% will be distributed among the new men outside."
The tent was dead silent. The sheer magnitude of that wealth was enough to elevate all of their families to the status of village elites.
"The second thing," Amutenya continued, his voice dropping a fraction, "is a formal invitation. I am asking you to step permanently under my command. Not just out here in the scrubland, but when we return home. I will not hide my intentions from you: I am going to build my own power. You have seen how scorched this earth is, and you have seen the royal courts do absolutely nothing to fix it. I have the ability to change things. So I will."
He met each of their eyes in the dim light. "If any of you do not wish to follow me, you are free to walk away. Nothing will change regarding your payouts. I will still protect you on the journey back and ensure your households get every single grain and ounce of iron you are owed. So, what do you say?"
He waited, masking his nervous anticipation behind a calm exterior.
"I will follow you," Tate Mukoya rumbled instantly. He was a warrior; following Amutenya meant he would never have to lay down his spear.
"Me too," Shiimi shrugged quietly from the shadows.
"Count me in," Haufiku said eagerly.
"And me," Kadhila echoed with a sharp grin.
"I will follow you," Nangolo declared softly.
"Amutenya..." Kapandu, the oldest of the three sisters, spoke up, her voice laced with deep regret. "We... we cannot make that decision. We need to ask our father first."
Amutenya nodded slowly, his jaw tightening as a wave of cold cynicism washed over him. He understood perfectly. It was a glaring, infuriating reminder of the structural rot of this era. Even though Kapandu and her sisters were well over twenty years old, they were legally bound to their father's will. A twelve-year-old boy like Kadhila and a sixteen-year-old like Haufiku could pledge their lives and forge their own destinies, but a grown woman had to ask for permission to secure her own survival. How deeply ironic, Amutenya thought. And how pathetic.
"Does that also apply to you, Ndapandula?" Amutenya turned to the young woman, who was currently entirely engrossed in a dry blade of grass near her foot.
"Uh... me? No, I am joining you too," she said casually, barely looking up.
"Do you not need your father's permission?" Ndilimeke asked her quietly.
"I have no parents," Ndapandula replied, her tone chillingly nonchalant. "My father died from a spear wound fighting the eastern raiders. My mother killed herself shortly after because she couldn't survive without a man to provide for her. I am the only one left."
Meme Kauna’s eyes instantly welled with tears, but Ndapandula simply went back to examining the grass. Amutenya let out a soft, measured sigh. The trauma of this world was woven directly into its culture.
"The rest of you are dismissed," Amutenya said gently. "Except Ndapandula, Shivute, and Shiimi. Stay behind."
Once the tent had cleared, the true restructuring began.
"Ndapandula," Amutenya said, finally drawing her attention away from the dirt. "You have done exceptionally well. Your knowledge of plants and healing is the lifeline of our survival. From now on, you are a 1st Rank Military Director. When we get back to the village, you will be in charge of recruiting, training, and supplying a full medical division. If you need resources, you come directly to me."
She nodded firmly, the casual demeanor vanishing, replaced by a sharp professional intensity. She turned and slipped out of the tent.
"Shivute," Amutenya turned to his cousin, the boy who had been with him since he first opened his eyes in this brutal world. "You are the one I depend on and trust the most. I need you to recruit and train a private guard for me. You will be my absolute sharpest blade, a shield against anyone who stands against me, internal or external. You can recruit from all walks of life—I do not care what tribe they come from, as long as their loyalty is absolute. Can I trust you with this?"
Shivute stood taller, no longer the weepy, terrified boy from the drought-stricken fields. "I can do it, cousin. I won't let you down."
"I know you won't," Amutenya nodded, dismissing him.
Finally, only Shiimi remained. The youth stood perfectly still in the dimmest corner of the tent, blending in so well he was almost invisible.
"Shiimi," Amutenya said slowly. "If I remember correctly, you are the only man left in your family, right?"
"Yes, my lord," Shiimi replied quickly. "My father and uncles were all killed in a bandit attack when they went out hunting four years ago."
Amutenya raised an eyebrow at the sudden, formal title. My lord. "If I give you a task that requires you to become a shadow, will you be capable of it?" Amutenya asked, his voice dropping to a whisper.
"I have sworn to follow you, my lord. If you give me a task that requires I walk through fire, I will do so."
"Good," Amutenya smiled, a cold, corporate shark's smile. "From now on, you are the leader of my Shadow Guards. You will quietly recruit people with nothing to live for and nowhere to go. You will train them into ghosts who will not hesitate to slit their own throats if I command it. Is that clear?"
Amutenya stared at the youth, waiting for a flinch, a hesitation, or a flicker of fear. Instead, Shiimi’s habitually numb, empty eyes suddenly sharpened. It was like watching a rusted blade finally being drawn from its sheath, catching the moonlight.
"Very clear, my lord," Shiimi bowed low, deeply respectful, before vanishing silently into the dark night.
Amutenya remained sitting on his wooden stool, staring at the empty tent flap for a long time. His eyes were deep and unfathomable as the pieces of his new empire locked into place.
He let out a low, quiet chuckle. "Interesting."
The sun had barely begun to crest the horizon the next morning, painting the scrubland in bruised purples and burnt orange. Before the smell of cooking fires could even permeate the camp, four men stood at attention inside Amutenya’s tent.
Nangolo, Kadhila, Mandume, and Homateni.
They stood with their backs straight, rigid as sharpened acacia spears, waiting for their warlord to speak.
"Since you are all here, let's begin," Amutenya said, leaning forward. "I still have to talk to the others."
Comments
Post a Comment